The difference between philosophers and scientists' minds:
I'm sure you've all felt or thought this at one point: Man, this year is passing by too quickly, where did the time go?
First grade felt like it dragged on forever. Middle school came along at a quicker pace (thank goodness those years went by quickly). High school went like a blur. I remember every year, in Chinese School (Yes, Chinese kids went to Chinese School), the principal would give her address at the end of the year. In that speech, she would always say that "the year went by in the blink of an eye". I thought she was full of utter bullshit, but I'm not so sure anymore.
But back to the point. Brian and I were having a discussion on why it feels that your life is moving so much faster now. I remember a friend of mine from a while ago telling me that scientists believe that there may be a hormone secreted by the brain that makes you think time goes faster. That's a pretty interesting thought, a hormone that alters your sense of time. That's some pretty powerful stuff; I'd believe that it is possible, there are, after all, drugs that alter your sense of time... and space... and.... whoah... dude, my hands are huge!.
Well.
Asked Bilford what he thought of that, and he said that, and he took a more philosophical approach on the matter. What a shocker. His interpretation was that time seems stretched because you haven't lived that long; when you are five years old, each additional year constitutes a large portion, in this case, a fifth, of your total memories; whereas by the time you're twenty, thirty, forty, each years' worth of memories contributes a relatively marginal amount of memories (5% as opposed to 20%) to your memory bank. Fair argument, you reflect back and say that time moves fast only after, say, a year has gone by; it's a bit trickier to say that you can feel each individual second rolling by quicker.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home