Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Prettiness should be outlawed.

Or it should be redistributed more evenly. "Here, have some of my beauty." Hmmm, what would beauty look like if it were some physical thing that you could just "give" to people? Would it look like a popsicle, dripping and oozing as little beads of beauty run off of the stick and into your hands? Would it be housed within the gelatinous interior of a gummy bear? Maybe it's kept in a tightly sealed glass jar, but that would be boring. That is, unless that glass jar was a prescription bottle, and that beauty was in the form of a suppository. Hmm, I suddenly have this nagging feeling that the words "beauty" and "suppository" just don't sound right together in the same sentence. Yes, this would be an appropriate moment to shudder. Oh well, to get your mind off of that horrible horrible thought, here are some pretty people.


That's David Sedaris next to my friend Mindy. We waited in line for over an hour and a half to get his autograph. I forgot to bring Sarah Vowell's book, but Mindy bought Children Playing Before A Statue of Hercules for me =D, and Vowell wrote the epilogue, so I thought that I should get her signature. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she was in a rush, but when she signed my book, she didn't seem very friendly; she hardly said a word. Gosh, how could such a woman channel the voice of a character like Violet Parr? No matter. I had David Sedaris sign the book that I brought as well as the Hercules book. He told me that he doesn't see too many young people at his shows, because they tend not to have the disposable income to neither buy his books nor see his shows. But yay for student price tickets, the seats weren't bad either. Of course, thanks to Jasmine for standing in line to get the tickets when they went on sale. So David asks me what I want to do, and I said that I might do pharmacy. So he sys... "Dr. Luong? I like the sound of that." So he wrote "To David (Dr. Luong)" and he drew a picture of a leg with the quote "you had to remove the whole thing?" Then he asks me where I'm from, and I tell him San Francisco. He then tells me about this place on Market Street where there's supposedly a very tasty bakery (well, the bakery itself probably isn't very tasty, I'm sure) where they serve tasty cake the size of an onramp. I suppose I need to find that place. Mmmm, onramp.... Mindy and I get in line a second time because she forgot to get him to sign her New Yorker magazine. And then a third time (well kinda... everyone had already gone home, except for David Sedaris, someone who might have been his personal assistant (guess he doesn't need another one ;D)) to ask for a picture. That one. Right there. I bet David Sedaris will not soon forget two crazy fans waiting until 11:45pm to see him. Three times.

Anyhoo, before the show at Royce, I was on my way to Starbucks to meet Mindy. As I'm passing by, I notice the premiere for House of Wax (well, it's hard not to notice it). Dozens of girls scream at pitches that only dogs can hear. I'm still trying to find my way to the Starbucks, which is only about twenty feet from the entrance of the Fox theater. Yeah, like the line "I'm just going over to the coffee shop" will get me through security. All of a sudden the screaming intensifies, only, it's right in front of me. Now I'm kinda curious. For a brief moment, the crowd clears just enough so that I can see who it is they're screaming over... only to reveal... someone I didn't know. Eh, what the hell, seeing as how I had my camera on me, I figured that I'd take a picture anyway, and then figure out who it was later on. And so, our mystery girl is none other than... Sophia Bush. Who? I asked the same thing. She's on some TV show. And she's married to the guy in House of Wax. Here are the pictures that I took:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun trip David!!! you should do that more often ;-).

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home