Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A new start

Today seems like a good day to start blogging again. After all, for better or worse, today represents a new start for a lot of people.

I don't know why I stopped writing (if you can call it that) to begin with, but I think for several reasons it took this long to start again. I'd felt like if I were to keep a blog, it should have a purpose, a reason for its existence. After all, for a lot of people, they write in order to further some kind of agenda. Some people treat a blog as a diary, logging the nitty gritty details of the toils of everyday life. A lot of people use their blogs to vent their frustrations, to rant about their neighbors, roommates, family, coworkers and whoever else. Still others use their blogs as a creative outlet, posting humorous reflections, photos and videos.

Sure, the above list is what you do with your blog, but in the end, what's the ultimate goal?

If you were treating your blog as a personal diary, would you really want to expose your innermost thoughts to the public? Would you want your roommates, family to end up reading the horrible horrible things you say about them? I'm sure having the attention is nice. That's why there's the stereotype that all emo kids keep blogs and post song lyrics about how sad they are. I guess so long as there's something that you have to say, whether interesting or not, there'll be an audience out there. One writer has in fact gotten a book deal and throngs of readers, no doubt because she's been so successful at weaving together this character for her audience to follow. Yes, that character is really herself, and yes, the events are true, but even her audience knows that it's not the real her. But for every morsel of your thoughts that goes published, there's undoubtedly a lot that isn't said.

I suppose if anything, a good reason to write is just for the sake of practicing verbal communication. I could probably use the exercise.

For now, I'm keeping this post short, since I'm keeping an eye on the election.
"Barney Gumbel: An election!? That's one of those deals where they close the bars isn't it?"

1 Comments:

Blogger NeoPeo said...

Yaaaaaay! You're back! :-).

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home