sights and sounds of the library

6:30 PM

6:54 PM

7:15 PM

7:34 PM

7:57 PM

8:16 PM

8:24 PM

8:32 PM

8:40 PM

9:07 PM
Location: Powell Library, reading room
Time: 2pm-11pm
The time at this very moment is 7:10 pm. The sun is still out, although it's starting to lower into the horizon. As reliable as the hands of a clock, the trees are starting to cast long shadows against the red brick of UCLA, signalling the end of another school day. At this point, everything that isn't shielded in the darkness of a neighboring object is covered in a warm orange glow, that same one that, ironically, is caused by all of the LA pollution that we've become so used to. Yet, at the same time, the inside of the library still looks just the same, whether it's the evening or whether it's daylight. Except for the last lingering shadows creeping up the side of the drawn shades, the white fluorescent lighting still evokes a sense of diligence; tired minds and tired bodies have trickled into and out of the reading room, but now, they mostly trickle out, save for the most dedicated and the most caffeinated (and the premeds). Outside though, Royce Hall still looks as majestic as ever, maybe even more so under the contrasting light and shadows that chase each other around its pillars. From the inside looking out, the open air coaxes us with its promise of freedom: freedom to run and jump and play; freedom from the crushing pressures of work and school; freedom to leave. It's still warm out, though. Very warm. The lure of the summer's breath beckons, and I'm tempted to follow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2pm: My shift at P1 starts. Nothing spectacular to note, except that I don't have a second person here working, so I'm all alone. The jamba juice that I had picked up earlier is starting to melt, so my raspberry smoothie is now raspberry juice. Yet, it's still too busy in here to actually enjoy it, whether liquid or slush. So rather than wait any longer, I drink the rest of it in two or three big sips. And it's still good, even if it's melted.
~~~~~
4:00 pm: As I head over to YRL to start a shift there, I see a fairly large group of kids wading in the fountain just above Janss steps. Their shoes and flip-flops are nowhere to be seen, and most of them are only little more than ankle deep in the water. Some sit on the edge with their feet dangling into the base of the fountain; others stand as the rush of water flows 'twixt their feet. Further along the way. I run into Christal and Cindy, both with whom I stop and chat with for a little while.
~~~~~
6:37 pm:
After returning to my post in Powell, the building seems to have emptied somewhat. Either that, or in comparison to the rush earlier today, it definitely wasn't as bad. A girl previously seated in the study booths stands up and starts doing her makeup. Peering into her mirror, she adds more powder to her already smooth and pale complexion. Once. Twice, ever so carefully. She brushes a fallen eyelash away. She's surprisingly attentive in her examination of every minute detail on her face, checking herself one more time in her round pocket mirror before she folds it up and puts it away. Meanwhile, a rather stout bald guy slouches back in his chair at his own study booth; with a laptop in front of him, he barely moves from his chair as he is entranced by a dark box with moving colored lights on the screen. It appears that he is immersed in what looks to be a video game. Such is expected of someone who has probably spent the last eight hours studying, so perhaps it's best not to judge him. Besides, flash games are cool.
~~~~~
7:00 pm: By now, the group at the fountain disperses. As we near summer solstice, it's not suprising at how bright it is outside still. It's still bright enough to get the rays of the sun in your eyes if you look directly west. Mmmmm, blinding pain. By now, a bunch of people i had checked laptops out to the prior 2pm-4pm shift have returned. A lot of them ask for renewals too. They're pretty studious, aren't they? I wish I had their dedication. Outside, three guys and a girl gather on the steps of Royce to chat, and I wonder what their conversation is about. Are they making some grand plans for tonight? Discussing the merits and the shortcomings of Nietzshe's theory of master-slave morality? Complaining about dining hall food?
~~~~~
8:13 pm: The guy who was playing video games on his laptop finally stops. Weary eyed, he returns his laptop to me. I wish him luck on his final tomorrow. Still though, I have the feeling that before he gets a good night's rest, he'll return home to prepare for Undie Run later that night.
Labels: Archive

1 Comments:
This is a very cool post.
Post a Comment
<< Home