Sunday, October 03, 2004

Incoming Freshmen

I feel old.

The incoming freshmen are so excited, so eager to start college, yet here I am, grumpy as ever. Though this feeling is exacerbated by the fact that I do not have internet in my room. I'm waiting to reformat my computer, but I need to back up all of my stuff... I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm sure this feeling of being internet deprived is similar to the feeling of being sex deprived. I suppose. Maybe.

Ah, I guess it's a nice segue into this next topic. So a floormate on A5 tells me yesterday that she rejected a guy who asked to have sex with her. I'd say, good job... after all, she had only met the guy twice before. He absolutely has no reason to expect her to agree. Yet, this morning, she feels guilty that she turned him down, as if she was the one who wronged him. That is exactly the mistake that many women feel, that is, that they are at fault. Unfortunately, it's the same reason that many women who are raped never tell anyone. Not that I'm blowing this out of proportion, but it really says something about our backward thinking. Societal conditioning, I suppose, for women to feel the need to have sex just so that they know they are wanted, loved. (Irony is, after meeting someone for only two days, the guy probably had one thing on his mind... and it sure as hell wasn't love.)

On a similar note, last Tuesday, before classes even started, an inebriated freshman came stumbling onto our floor. This is probably how he will define the rest of his college career. Yes, partying and being drunk off his ass. For four years.

Lesson learned: Freshmen are naive, and probably have the wrong idea of what college should be: sex, partying, and alcohol.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home